Hi all, first post in this new blog.
First, I am Julian Chan, a Singaporean who is currently pursuing a double degree in Business Administration and Psychology in USA, upstate New York.
Reason I made this blog ?
I felt I have lots of opinions that I like to share to those who wish to read, and commenting on Facebook would make everyone who are not interested pissed that I am spamming their newsfeed ( also, Internet Explorer is horrid and I frequently find myself having typed a very long post in Facebook and it all goes to nought when suddenly IE just crashes on me ).
I have opinions on all kinds of things, people, events, ideas and many more. If any readers want to express their own opinion and wish for me to give my own perspective on things, you are welcome to comment, provided that you be polite.
Speaking of opinions, to the many people out there who might tell me I should not be judging others, if in any case I do, here is some food for thought: If your opinion is that people should not judge other people, that would mean that your opinion is that people who judge are incorrect. In that sense, aren't you already judging others ? I find that to be highly hypocritical ( no offense intended ), and I would rather live true to myself and my opinions.
A recent topic that I read about in Facebook caught my attention. In a particular photo of a Chinese family from China, the uploader wrote in the post that this family was speaking in Mandarin in an MRT ( what we call the subway in Singapore ), and blatantly making racist comments about the uploader's skin colour ( he is dark, and they thought he could not understand Mandarin ). This led to the uploader subsequently confronting them and taking their photo, before uploading it on Facebook. The story does not end there. The uploader in his post, made specific digs back at this Chinese family about how they were from China and should go back to China, then ending off his post along the lines of how people should not be racist. See the irony already ?
This subsequently led to hundreds of Singaporeans commenting in on the photo which went viral, most of them stating about how ALL China Chinese were racists and disgusting, etc. This also further sparked anger about how Singapore's government has apparently "not done anything" to kick these Chinese out of Singapore, because the Chinese were stealing their jobs. There were also posts about how Hong Kong and Taiwan are also predominantly filled with people of Chinese race, and they dislike the mainland Chinese as well.
And here is my opinion: First of all, the majority of Singaporeans are being extremely hypocritical when they say that ALL mainland Chinese are racist. This is classic stereotyping of an entire nation of people just because of a select few black sheep. Also, individually, I have met more Chinese people online and in real life who say good things about Singaporeans than Singaporeans who say good things about the Chinese, percentage wise ( because I would most probably know more Singaporeans ). Those Singaporeans who comment as above and then say that racism should stop should perhaps do some serious self-reflection and realise that the majority of Singaporeans, like them, do not show a good example against racism. How then do they expect the Chinese who come to our country to learn that racism is not acceptable behavior in Singapore ? This problem should be solved not only from the outside, like how alot of people said the government should clamp down on foreigners being racist. The problem should also be solved from within, which means solving the racist attitudes most Singaporeans have against foreigners.
Second, the government has, in fact, not been inactive against the complaints of Singaporeans who claim their jobs have been "stolen" by foreigners. However, percentage wise, the Chinese who come to Singapore take more low-paying labor intensive and janitorial jobs ( basically jobs most Singaporeans wouldn't want to have ) as compared to Caucasians who usually take higher pay, managerial position jobs ( which alot of Singaporeans would be willing to have ). The thing I fail to understand is that if Singaporeans were seriously concerned with the job issue, wouldn't they be more unhappy with the Caucasians ? No hate to Caucasians here, but I am just stating a normal action-reaction process. Then I realized, the true underlying factor of this whole job shortage argument is just racism against the Chinese. After Singaporeans complained and the government heeded, the government added a quota for vacancies in alot of our local companies, which stated that there must be a minimum number of Singaporeans within a company in order for these company to hire foreign workers. However, after this was done, I have noticed over the last few months that these companies are now finding themselves short of manpower. As I had said, most Singaporeans SIMPLY do not wish to have these kind of jobs. Their basis for their complaints were just basically stemming from selfishness. They would rather hinder our country's economic growth than see a few more Chinese foreign workers work here and earn money.
Lastly, Hong Kong and Taiwan might be also doing the same thing, but does that mean it is right ? During WW2, the Germans killed lots of Jews and the Japanese killed and raped the women of lots of other Asian countries. Just because they did so, doesn't mean it is right. Furthermore, I have read about how China hinders foreigners from doing business and working in their country, so why has Singapore government "done nothing" to stop Chinese foreign workers from coming in ? In truth, Singapore's government has already set quotas for employment as I stated above, as well as imposed lots of different laws for foreign investors in Singapore. If we wish to compare apples to apples, China is a developing country, would any Singaporean want to go over there and earn half of what their workers there earn ? Because that is what alot of Chinese that come over to Singapore do nowadays. They come over, work longer hours, and earn much less. If any Singaporean would be willing to do that, I am pretty sure the Chinese government would probably have no issue with them going over there to work. However, if Singaporeans go over to China, hoping to work less hours than them and/or earn more for the same job done, I don't see why their government would accept that; I believe our government would do the same thing if the situation was reversed.
I would leave you to make your own conclusions, as I am tired and wish to stop blogging for today. However, please note that I do not support the actions of the Chinese family in the Facebook post, and the uploader did not do wrong to confront them. The thing he did wrong was that he decided to confront racism by using more racism, and that is simply hypocritical. Just because one Chinese family out of the 1 billion over people who are from China are racist, it does not mean that all Chinese people are the same. With that, I bid you a good night.
First, I am Julian Chan, a Singaporean who is currently pursuing a double degree in Business Administration and Psychology in USA, upstate New York.
Reason I made this blog ?
I felt I have lots of opinions that I like to share to those who wish to read, and commenting on Facebook would make everyone who are not interested pissed that I am spamming their newsfeed ( also, Internet Explorer is horrid and I frequently find myself having typed a very long post in Facebook and it all goes to nought when suddenly IE just crashes on me ).
I have opinions on all kinds of things, people, events, ideas and many more. If any readers want to express their own opinion and wish for me to give my own perspective on things, you are welcome to comment, provided that you be polite.
Speaking of opinions, to the many people out there who might tell me I should not be judging others, if in any case I do, here is some food for thought: If your opinion is that people should not judge other people, that would mean that your opinion is that people who judge are incorrect. In that sense, aren't you already judging others ? I find that to be highly hypocritical ( no offense intended ), and I would rather live true to myself and my opinions.
A recent topic that I read about in Facebook caught my attention. In a particular photo of a Chinese family from China, the uploader wrote in the post that this family was speaking in Mandarin in an MRT ( what we call the subway in Singapore ), and blatantly making racist comments about the uploader's skin colour ( he is dark, and they thought he could not understand Mandarin ). This led to the uploader subsequently confronting them and taking their photo, before uploading it on Facebook. The story does not end there. The uploader in his post, made specific digs back at this Chinese family about how they were from China and should go back to China, then ending off his post along the lines of how people should not be racist. See the irony already ?
This subsequently led to hundreds of Singaporeans commenting in on the photo which went viral, most of them stating about how ALL China Chinese were racists and disgusting, etc. This also further sparked anger about how Singapore's government has apparently "not done anything" to kick these Chinese out of Singapore, because the Chinese were stealing their jobs. There were also posts about how Hong Kong and Taiwan are also predominantly filled with people of Chinese race, and they dislike the mainland Chinese as well.
And here is my opinion: First of all, the majority of Singaporeans are being extremely hypocritical when they say that ALL mainland Chinese are racist. This is classic stereotyping of an entire nation of people just because of a select few black sheep. Also, individually, I have met more Chinese people online and in real life who say good things about Singaporeans than Singaporeans who say good things about the Chinese, percentage wise ( because I would most probably know more Singaporeans ). Those Singaporeans who comment as above and then say that racism should stop should perhaps do some serious self-reflection and realise that the majority of Singaporeans, like them, do not show a good example against racism. How then do they expect the Chinese who come to our country to learn that racism is not acceptable behavior in Singapore ? This problem should be solved not only from the outside, like how alot of people said the government should clamp down on foreigners being racist. The problem should also be solved from within, which means solving the racist attitudes most Singaporeans have against foreigners.
Second, the government has, in fact, not been inactive against the complaints of Singaporeans who claim their jobs have been "stolen" by foreigners. However, percentage wise, the Chinese who come to Singapore take more low-paying labor intensive and janitorial jobs ( basically jobs most Singaporeans wouldn't want to have ) as compared to Caucasians who usually take higher pay, managerial position jobs ( which alot of Singaporeans would be willing to have ). The thing I fail to understand is that if Singaporeans were seriously concerned with the job issue, wouldn't they be more unhappy with the Caucasians ? No hate to Caucasians here, but I am just stating a normal action-reaction process. Then I realized, the true underlying factor of this whole job shortage argument is just racism against the Chinese. After Singaporeans complained and the government heeded, the government added a quota for vacancies in alot of our local companies, which stated that there must be a minimum number of Singaporeans within a company in order for these company to hire foreign workers. However, after this was done, I have noticed over the last few months that these companies are now finding themselves short of manpower. As I had said, most Singaporeans SIMPLY do not wish to have these kind of jobs. Their basis for their complaints were just basically stemming from selfishness. They would rather hinder our country's economic growth than see a few more Chinese foreign workers work here and earn money.
Lastly, Hong Kong and Taiwan might be also doing the same thing, but does that mean it is right ? During WW2, the Germans killed lots of Jews and the Japanese killed and raped the women of lots of other Asian countries. Just because they did so, doesn't mean it is right. Furthermore, I have read about how China hinders foreigners from doing business and working in their country, so why has Singapore government "done nothing" to stop Chinese foreign workers from coming in ? In truth, Singapore's government has already set quotas for employment as I stated above, as well as imposed lots of different laws for foreign investors in Singapore. If we wish to compare apples to apples, China is a developing country, would any Singaporean want to go over there and earn half of what their workers there earn ? Because that is what alot of Chinese that come over to Singapore do nowadays. They come over, work longer hours, and earn much less. If any Singaporean would be willing to do that, I am pretty sure the Chinese government would probably have no issue with them going over there to work. However, if Singaporeans go over to China, hoping to work less hours than them and/or earn more for the same job done, I don't see why their government would accept that; I believe our government would do the same thing if the situation was reversed.
I would leave you to make your own conclusions, as I am tired and wish to stop blogging for today. However, please note that I do not support the actions of the Chinese family in the Facebook post, and the uploader did not do wrong to confront them. The thing he did wrong was that he decided to confront racism by using more racism, and that is simply hypocritical. Just because one Chinese family out of the 1 billion over people who are from China are racist, it does not mean that all Chinese people are the same. With that, I bid you a good night.
I disagree your opinion, you saying most of the job Singaporean don't want to do. this is not the reason. the reason is the salary they offer is too low to support the family sometime even your self to survive also a problem, remember that every Singaporean they need to deduct their total gross income through CPF 20% of the gross salary. Foreigner basically they don't, unless they are higher income which also PR, to getting PR at least 3K income, to you know that. and these some where around example a job 1.2k-1.6k and if you took it the job your actual income 800 or 1.3k maybe..too low to survive in Singapore. don't tell me you don't want to save some money for when you don't have job or old enough that company one day tell you they don't need you. or money you need for your clinic bill or hospital bill when you old.
ReplyDeleteOnce again, refer to point 2. Understandably, income is insufficient but that is a separate point of contention altogether. Low income > no income, if the people were willing they would have taken it before complaining about foreigners. Right now most people are not taking those jobs and they are complaining about foreigners. Besides, as I pointed out, if Singaporeans were really directing their unhappiness towards people whom they feel are taking their rice bowls, wouldn't they be more unhappy against most Caucasian expats compared to Chinese foreign workers? Yet that is not the case.
ReplyDelete